Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Jeremiah 29:11

Today started off like a normal day for the T-18ers. We woke up. Ate. Ran around site seeing or getting errands done. Excited. Nervous. All sorts of emotions for our staging event.








We register.







We sit down, talk.







Delays.







Staging starts. We introduce ourselves, laugh at the fun facts we have learned about Turkmenistan. The director of the whole Central Asia from the Peace Corps came up and said he was here with some bad news.







He started reading a letter.







The summery of the letter: We are not going to Turkmenistan. For some reason, the Turkmen government did not want any volunteers and did not want any until September 2010.. They gave us our visas a week ago. Now they do not want us. This is a rare situation, so rare that they were unsure on what to do.
To make a long story short--our trip is cancelled. All of us are going home tomorrow. I will be back in Phoenix at 540--100 lbs of luggage and all.
I remember thinking he was joking. We all did. But he kept talking and no "Just kidding--welcome to the Peace Corps!" speech came.
Then it began to sank in. I was shocked. I had no idea what to do. I had been prepping since June 2008. I spent probably well over a 1000 dollars. I cried. A lot. And now--it's done. Gone
So many sold their house, many people sold their car. Gave up stable, great careers for this. Gone. Done.
But in the midst of all the the waves of emotion, God laid a verse on my heart: "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."--Jeremiah 29:11
The good news--we get first dibs on open spots. We do not have to go through the long application process again.I could leave as early as next week to go somewhere else. Likely? Probably not. I won't know more until I call Thursday
But God has a plan. He has a plan for me and the people who sacrificed all they had. So we are not going to Turkmenistan. It's okay. He has bigger plans in store. What they are? I don't know. All I know is I'm excited to make my phone call 5 am Thursday morning AZ time to say "Alright--where to next?"

So now I wait. And pray. And cling to that promise. That He has plans for me--plans to propser me--plans to give me hope and a future.

6 comments:

  1. Holy Moly- I thought you were joking too. Hold tight to that promise- God totally does have a plan. Also, maybe you can go somewhere that doesnt cost $5000 to fly too. I love you and know that great things will happen!! I will keep reading- thanks for the updates.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crazy, crazy, crazy. I wish I could say I'm sorry...but I'm kind of not. I'm excited that God has something greater for you and hopefully rewards your amazing servant attitude that was willing to go to TS.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bummer Zickl! But God DOES know what He's doing, so props on seeing that in the midst of the disappointment and broken promises. It's nice to know that the Lord never breaks His, huh? :) We love you and keep us updated!!

    C&C

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lauren - I feel your pain darlin'. I spent 3 months in Africa dancing, learning, training, prepping, raising all my support, anticipating, dreaming, longing to tour around the US with 3 shows to share the love of Christ. After all the physical, mental, emotional, spiritual prep we get back to the US, and BAM - no more money, it's over, you're done, fly home....Merry Christmas.....It was heart-breaking, literally, the closest thing I can ever think to compare it to is being dumped by someone you love. Just hearing your story brings those feelings rushing back, I feel your pain. But it sounds like you've got a good perspective on it, don't let that go :) You are exactly right, God's got you, He knows exactly what's going on and what will happen next and one thing we know for sure is it's good. I'll be praying for you and send you my love. Hold on to the promise! :)

    ReplyDelete